Telawaa: English Zone!


On TELAWAA(The English Language Academy With Ayo Alonge).

When asking a question, there is a difference between these two:

Did you know? and Do you know?

The first one is used when the answer is already stated in the question asked and you merely wish to bring it to the awareness of the other person; or when you are already supplying an information.

Example:
Did you know that the world is presently going through a global warming?

(You can see that I supplied an information.)

It can also be a question in the past tense.

Example:
Did you know I came to your house yesterday?
 (I probably expected you to have known before the time I asked.)

The second is used to elicit an information or make an inquiry.

Example:
Do you know my name?
(It implies that I need to know whether or not you know. I haven't supplied any informaton.)

NB: Note that both can be used for a yes/no situation, with one used in the present tense and the other in the past tense.
Do - present
Did - past

from Bola Esho's Blog

Comments