BEB Weekend Sports: Juicy News!

Man Utd confirm £50m Wan-Bissaka signing


Manchester United have signed England Under-21 right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace in a £50m deal.

The 21-year-old, who made his first-team debut for Palace last year, has agreed a five-year contract that will earn him up to £80,000 a week.

United are paying £45m up front, making Wan-Bissaka the club's fifth-biggest signing, behind Paul Pogba, Romelu Lukaku, Angel di Maria and Fred.

"It's an unbelievable feeling and an honour," Wan-Bissaka said.

Manchester United confirmed the signing on Saturday.

Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said Wan-Bissaka was "one of the best upcoming defenders in the Premier League".

He added:
"He has the right work ethic, talent and mentality to play for Manchester United and he fits exactly the type of player that we are looking to bring into the squad to help us improve and push on further."
The defender is the club's second summer recruit, after Wales international Daniel James, 21, joined from Swansea for £15m.

United have the option to extend Wan-Bissaka's five-year deal into a sixth year.

Suarez misses crucial spot-kick as Peru beat Uruguay in shootout


Luis Suarez missed the only penalty as Uruguay were beaten in a shootout by Peru in the Copa America quarter-final.

Suarez had a goal disallowed for offside in normal time before missing the first penalty of the shootout, as Edison Flores struck the winning kick.

Edinson Cavani also had a goal ruled out as 15-time winners Uruguay failed to convert from their 12 shots at goal.

Peru now play Chile in the second semi-final on 4 July, after hosts Brazil face Argentina the night before.

Uruguay will rue two gilt-edge opportunities in normal time as both Cavani and captain Diego Godin smashed the ball over the bar from six yards out.

Peru failed to produce a single shot on target as veteran striker Paolo Guerrero went through on goal twice, only to be denied by two crucial Jose Gimenez challenges.

IAAF seeks to overturn Semenya decision


Athletics' world governing body has submitted a request to overturn an order allowing Caster Semenya to temporarily compete without taking testosterone-reducing medication.

Switzerland's federal supreme court had
suspended an IAAF ruling restricting testosterone levels in female runners.

It meant South Africa's double 800m Olympic champion Semenya could continue to compete pending a final judgement.

The IAAF said it had submitted its response to the Swiss Federal Tribunal.

South African Semenya had filed an appeal to the Swiss court last month after her attempt to have new IAAF rules restricting testosterone levels in female runners overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) was unsuccessful. Semenya said afterwards:
 "I hope following my appeal I will once again be able to run free. 
"I am thankful to the Swiss judges for this decision."

Emotional Antetokounmpo named NBA MVP


Milwaukee Bucks forward Giannis Antetokounmpo has been named the NBA's most valuable player of the 2018-19 season.

The 24-year-old made an emotional acceptance speech after becoming the youngest MVP in eight years.

The 2019 All-Star team captain averaged 27.7 points and 12.5 rebounds over 72 games, guiding his side to the Eastern Conference finals.

Antetokounmpo beat last year's winner James Harden to the award.
The 'Greek Freak' wept on stage as he paid a moving tribute to this late father Charles, who died in 2017.
"I want to thank my dad. Obviously, my dad is not here with me," he told the crowd in California. 
"Two years ago, I had a goal in my head that I was going to be the best player in the league and do whatever it takes to help my team win, and I'm going to win everything. 
"Every day I step on the floor, I always think of my dad and that motivates me and pushes me to play harder and move forward. 
"Even when my body is sore, even when I don't feel like playing, I always show up and do the right thing." 
"I want to thank my team, my team-mates. MVP is not about stats and numbers. It is all about winning and all about making sure you go out there and do everything you can to win. I think that is what we did as a team."
Bucks general manager Jon Horst said:
"We are beyond proud of Giannis for earning his first MVP award. This well-deserved honour is due to his relentless hard work and dedication in becoming the most impactful player in the NBA.


from Bola Esho's Blog

Comments