BEB Weekend Sports:News!

Tottenham re-sign Bale on loan


Tottenham have re-signed Wales forward Gareth Bale from Spanish champions Real Madrid on a season-long loan.

Bale, 31, left Spurs for a then world record £85m in 2013 and went on to score more than 100 goals and win four Champions Leagues with Real.
"It's nice to be back. It's such a special club to me. It's where I made my name," said Bale.
"Hopefully, now I can get some match fitness, get under way and really help the team and, hopefully, win trophies."
Spurs said Bale has signed for them with a knee injury sustained playing for Wales earlier this month and they "anticipate that he will be match fit after October's international break".

That would mean the forward missing their next five games, with the club's first outing following the international break at home to West Ham on 17 October.
'I'm hungry and motivated'
Bale originally joined Tottenham as a 17-year-old from Southampton in 2007 for an initial payment of £5m.
"I always thought when I did leave that I would love to come back," he added. 
"I feel like it is a good fit. It's a good time for me. I'm hungry and motivated. I want to do well for the team and can't wait to get started."
At Real, Bale has also won two La Liga titles, one Copa del Rey, three Uefa Super Cups and three Club World Cups.
"I think by going to Madrid, winning trophies and going far with the national team I feel like I have that kind of winning mentality, how to win trophies," he said. 
"You don't realise it until you're there and in those situations, in finals, how to kind of deal with the situation, the nerves, the pressure, and I think that all goes with experience. 
"Hopefully I can bring that to the dressing room, bring a bit more belief to everybody that we can win a trophy, and the target is to do that this season, to be fighting on every front possible. I want to bring that mentality here, back to Tottenham."

Super Eagles 29th in world FIFA ranking


Nigeria’s Super Eagles have moved up by two spots in FIFA’s ranking for September to place 29th after more than six months of disruption due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In the ranking placed on the world football governing body’s website on Thursday, Nigeria garnered 1493 points during the period under review without playing any match.

The movement also placed Nigeria as the third in Africa behind Senegal and Tunisia who garnered 1555 and 1506 points respectively.

On the global scene, with the exception of Uzbekistan’s 2-1 friendly victory over Tajikistan, the countries back in action have all been European.

The successful staging of these games was nonetheless encouraging for teams from other confederations as they seek to resume international fixtures in the weeks ahead.

The 54 UEFA Nations League games which took place across Europe at the beginning of September had an immediate impact on the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking, which had remained unchanged since April 9.

Nadal beaten in Italian Open but Novak Djokovic wins


Rafael Nadal was beaten in straight sets in the quarter-final of the Italian Open but Novak Djokovic is through to the semi-finals.

The nine-time champion lost to Argentina's Diego Schwartzman for the first time in his career, going down 6-2 7-5 as he struggled with his serve.

Djokovic also dropped a set and needed more than two hours to defeat 97th-ranked German Dominik Koepfer 6-3 4-6 6-3.

The Serb's temper was on display again.

He smashed a racquet after losing a service game, two weeks after being defaulted from the US Open for hitting a line judge with a ball.
"It's not the first nor the last racquet I'll break in my career," he said. 
"That's how I guess I release sometimes my anger. I am working on my mental and emotional health as much as I'm working on my physical health."
Djokovic will play Norway's Casper Ruud who earlier battled past Italian fourth seed Matteo Berrettini 4-6 6-3 7-6 (7-5).

Meanwhile Schwartzman, who had never beaten a top five player, broke Nadal's serve five times in an impressive performance and will play Canadian Denis Shapovalov, who beat Grigor Dimitrov 6-2 3-6 6-2 for his 100th tour-level win.

Antetokounmpo earns second MVP award


Milwaukee Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo has been named the NBA's Most Valuable Player for the second successive season.

He becomes only the third player, after Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon, to earn the MVP and Defensive Player of the Year award in the same season.

Antetokounmpo, 25, received 85 of the 101 first-place votes and earned 962 points in the voting.
Los Angeles Lakers' LeBron James was second on 753 points.

Speaking after the Lakers went 1-0 up in the Western Conference finals, James said he was annoyed at finishing in second place and receiving 16 of the 101 first-place votes, compared to Antetokounmpo's 85.

Houston Rockets star James Harden was in third with 367 points.

from Bola Esho's Blog

Comments